3 Jul

Silk has been on my shitlist a long time. While I used to think it rocked that they were owned by White Wave, an independent company that was considered a pillar in the organic industry, like all good things that show any bit of profitability, hungry corporate interests scooped up the company and quickly hollowed it of any meaningful business practices. Silk is now owned by Dean Foods, an $11 billion agrievilcorporation, who also happens to be the largest processor of cow’s milk in the United States. How large is large? They own over 50 labels, including Horizon Organic (Mmmm, happy milk!) As a result of this purchase, Silk no longer uses 100% organic soybeans. For me, being owned by a dairy is enough to opt out of Silk, but watching the David vs. Goliath battle between the Cornucopia Institute and Silk was the nail in the coffin for others. Owned by a dairy? Check. Constantly refusing to be transparent about organic standards and sourcing? Check. So long, Silk, and thanks for all the previously organic, guilt-free soy milk.

And it pains me to say this, but, recently another one bit the dust: Earth’s Own. You know Earth’s Own. They own So Good, Almond Fresh, ryza, and So Nice

Everyone, meet Amoré

Yup, you read it right. Amoré is a morally (and physically!) repugnant blend of cow’s milk and almond milk. Because. Um. Well, when I asked them on their Facebook, this is what they said:

With the growth of almond beverages over the past couple of years, we’ve had requests from consumers for a product that combines almonds with dairy. The Amoré Almonds + Dairy product you are now seeing on the shelf is intended to meet the needs of these consumers. To avoid any confusion among our Almond Fresh users, we chose to launch this product under its own unique brand. Rest assured that our Almond Fresh beverages will continue to be dairy free and lactose free.”

First of all, can you point me in the direction of the supposed throngs of people who requested that their almond milk have some cow added to it? Face punches all around! Also, I’m going to go ahead and say I highly doubt people asked for it. What was the basis of their request? It’s too “pus free”, it’s too “low calorie”, “I don’t have enough phlegm in my throat”?

And secondly, thank you for so thoroughly failing to address my concerns about selling out. You seem to have missed the part about how your products have a huge base of support among ethical plant-eaters who choose you over Silk because we kind of want to throw up in our mouth when we imagine lining the pockets of a company that profits off forced impregnation, separation of mother and baby, and premature, violent death. Earth’s Own, you’re at every vegan-related event under the sun, how do you still not get it: vegans don’t just NOT eat animals, we want OTHER people to not eat animals too. And most vegans happily eschew a product that just happens to be vegan when the people running the show are contributing to oppression we are committed to ending.

I know I shouldn’t be surprised. After all, last year Earth’s Own advertised at the Calgary Stampede, which for my non-Canadian readers, is the world’s largest congregation of unimaginative yokels competing for who doesn’t give the most fucks about farmed animals. But we were willing to give you another chance, Earth’s Own. And you blew it.

But seriously, is it 1991? Since when does a plant-based company moonwalk backwards in time and introduce a ‘dairy option’? Did Earth’s Own really need to pander to an already over-serviced market?

Can some soy milk company just not suck horribly? Even EdenSoy (whose rhetoric and gentle colour palette implies they’d never even step on grass lest they crush a bug), is run by a religious windbag who filed a lawsuit against the Obama administration because he didn’t want to pay for contraception as part of his employee’s health benefits. The owner stated that contraception “almost always involves immoral and unnatural practices.” Not to mention unwanted pregnancies, but MOVING ON.

This is crappy news. If you need me, I’ll be standing over my sink, miserably squeezing my nut milk bag. Just kidding. Thankfully Natur-a doesn’t suck yet, so instead I’ll be drowning my sorrows in a gigantic, cold, uncorrupted glass of their strawberry flavoured deliciousness.

Pissed off? Go yell at Earth’s Own about it!

phone: 1-888-401-0019
email: consumer@earthsown.com
So Good (http://www.facebook.com/sogoodcanada
Almond Fresh (http://www.facebook.com/almondfresh )
ryza (http://www.facebook.com/ryza)
So Nice (www.facebook.com/soniceorganic)

25 Responses to “The cow’s milk of human greediness: Another vegan soy milk company bites the dust.”

1. Eric July 3, 2013 at 9:17 pm #

I sent a personal email to the company.

It’s sad to see things like this happen, especially since I KNOW that vegans are a loyal bunch to companies who share their values. A move like this from Earth’s Own is extremely bad on their part. I can’t imagine how much business they’ll lose on their regular line of products. My family easily purchases over 30 liters of their products a month, but now we’ll be moving to another brand. Any suggestions?

• The Veganomaly July 4, 2013 at 12:20 am #

Natur-a is the only one I know of right now!

• Eric July 4, 2013 at 12:29 am #

Yup, I’ve basically concluded the same. Might have to look outside of soymilk and explore hemp milk, oat milk and other options…

2. Autumn July 3, 2013 at 9:33 pm #

Fellow vegan here: I just recently heard about silk being owned by dean foods and wrote a letter to silk with my objections and disgust at the thought that I was supporting a horrendous company. I received a response stating that they are no longer part of dean foods and are now an independent company. I am not sure if I saved the response, but see for yourself by writing to companies that participate in actions you disagree with. It might be one letter but we are many.

• The Veganomaly July 4, 2013 at 12:20 am #

Interesting! I’ll look into this further. Thanks!

3. Eve Beltane July 3, 2013 at 11:04 pm #

I am saddened to hear this disheartening news. I enjoyed Almond Fresh coconut milk immensely but can no longer in good conscious purchase a product that supports the dairy industry in any way. Thanks for sharing.

4. Karen July 4, 2013 at 11:41 am #

Thank you for the reminder that Silk is owned by Dean, one of the evil giants! I recently gave up dairy (thankfully enlightened that milk is milk is milk- horrid for cows and for the babies born to be killed so the poor mommas can just make more milk and be bred again :-(
    I was making homemade almond milk and loving it but switched recently to SO coconut milk for my coffee to save some money. This will help make sure I do not forget and pick up anything produced by Silk. I keep a l list in my purse of the ‘organic’ companies that are owned by the big guys who have their mitts in GMO support and factory farming, but sometimes I forget to look at it.

5. Casandra July 4, 2013 at 12:23 pm #

“What was the basis of their request? It’s too “pus free”, it’s too “low calorie”, “I don’t have enough phlegm in my throat”?”

I am going to have to remember that one!

I’ve taken to making my own almond these days and much prefer it. It takes all of three minutes to make and I don’t have any lingering concerns about where it came from!

6. Emily Anderson July 4, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

Thank you for this information! I don’t prefer the taste of Silk products anyway. I love So Delicious products-do you know if they are an independent company? I have never heard anything bad about them so I am happy to support them. But back to Silk-I heard that they opposed California’s proposition to label GMO foods. That was a major turn off for me. A product that claims to be GMO free but yet opposes GMO labeling is a red flag for sure.

7. BH July 4, 2013 at 2:27 pm #

F*ck all of these guys. On just the grounds that Silk sold their souls to the devil, I’ll never purchase their products (or any of the others listed here) again. Eric is right, vegans are loyal to their brands. But like others that have sold out before (eg. Tom’s of Maine), I’ll pass right by these and source something that respects the moral and ethical standards on which they were founded on.

8. wearethey July 5, 2013 at 8:40 pm #

Well written – I laughed and cried.

Will try to keep track of the agrievils. I like Natura soy milk personally

9. babette July 7, 2013 at 10:58 pm #

This is bad news… I didn’t know about all that. I did not even know it had advertised at the Stampede.

Any other milk we can drink, other than Natura? I pretty much only buy Natura, and love their ice cream, but it could be helpful. Where are you located? For some reason, I thought Natura only sold in Quebec.

• babette July 7, 2013 at 11:00 pm #

Sorry, I just read the other comments… so Natura is the only one. If you have more info about Silk, I’d be interested.

I’ll write to Earth’s Own.

• The Veganomaly July 13, 2013 at 3:50 pm #

You can google Silk and find everything you need to know. Thanks for writing to Earth’s Own!

• The Veganomaly July 13, 2013 at 3:50 pm #

Natura is available all over. I’m in Ontario.

10. Joanne Anand July 13, 2013 at 11:52 am #

Thanks mate, we have so many nut/plant milks to choose from that your article gave me food for thought – just don’t ever think this will make me go back to cow’s milk though if that was the purpose of this article.

• The Veganomaly July 13, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

Joanne, is that a joke? You actually thought the purpose of this article was to encourage people to go back to drinking cow’s milk? Did you happen to notice the name of this blog?

11. dawn July 13, 2013 at 1:49 pm #

when I buy a coffee at a major franchise I always make a point to ask for non-cruel milk ie. soy, almond, hemp, coconut, etc. I say it very loud.
    I stop everything to make my point that if they had any of these alternative milks I would most certainly take my coffee – regular with milk but since they still don’t offer any alternatives (maybe some day they’ll get it) I will have to take my coffee black for the time being.
    I take advantage of an opportunity to educate mostly immigrants to Canada working as counter clerks on the way things are done here in a first developed country like Canada. We do not harm animals. Why would Tim Horton’s still offer animal products in this day&age I ask?
    I could not go there at all but by going there I get this opportunity, many times over, of sharing my knowledge on being vegan, on how it’s the only way to be nowadays. Any other way is out dated, wrong, criminal. I could go on…..never lose the opportunity to take the stage for animal rights. make the most of it.

• The Veganomaly July 13, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

Hi Dawn,

That is great that you ask for alternatives, but to be clear: I strongly disagree with you attributing animal cruelty to “immigrants to Canada”. Language like “the way things are done here in a developed country like Canada” is extremely disrespectful, and also straight up nonsensical. Factory farming was born in North America. And reality check:”we do not harm animals” in Canada? Is that a joke? The majority of Canadians eat animals every day. This has nothing to do with people new to Canada, and I suggest you refrain from making comments like that on here.

12. Chris July 13, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

who still drinks soy milk anyway? make your own nut milk if you really need an alternative and stop relying on corporations.

• The Veganomaly July 13, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

That is not a reasonable expectation for most people. Plus, soy milk is fortified with important nutrients for vegans like B12 and calcium.

13. Nathan Elias July 13, 2013 at 3:09 pm #

Most (all?) Almond Milk has very low (towards .3%) protein content in it. This is probably why people have been asking about it. My mom pointed this out to me when she came to visit, I had never checked before.

• The Veganomaly July 13, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

Then why wouldn’t they just drink regular ol’ cow’s milk? It makes no sense from a ‘protein’ perspective…

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. WTF Wednesday. Amoré from Earth’s Own. – Dairy and Almond – Why? | meshell in your city. - July 3, 2013

[…] EDITED TO ADD: The Veganomaly & I were on the same wavelength today. She lays it all out much better than I. […]